Twelve years since that awful day, a year ago today that 4 Americans were murdered in Benghazi. Though the day outside here in north Alabama is bright and sunny, this is always a dark day to me. My heart is particularly heavy this time every year. It always will be. Usually, if I am not scheduled to be off work, I request off months in advance because I know I won't be able to make it through the day without a lot of tears falling. The last thing I want to do is answer the phone there at work and pretend to be happy. And it makes me angry at people who seem to have forgotten what this day is. (No, ignorant masses, it's NOT just Wednesday today.) I'm not one to wallow around like that all the time. But to paraphrase Rep. Peter King (NY) who I heard on Fox News this morning, when a tragedy happens, human nature is to try to forget what happened and move on. But in doing so, we are running the risk of having it happen again. I have always believed that to be true. And it's why September 11th is a day of remembrance for me-tears fall, I remember those who were taken from us, I remember what happened and then I get mad. It renews my determination that the utter filth who did this and continue to commit acts of terror against our citizens here and around the world will ultimately be DEFEATED. Their aim was to scare us and cow us...well I am NOT scared and never have been. They've pissed me and a lot of fellow Americans off-and that was NOT wise. Some of us still have a backbone and will defend this country-and there are a variety of ways to do that-and we will employ each and every one.
Unfortunately, there is now another tragedy to remember on this day, another act of terror. The murders of our Ambassador to Libya, Chris Stevens, former Navy SEALs Tyrone Woods and Glen Doherty, and Sean Smith at the embassy in Benghazi. If you've read some of my previous posts, you know how I feel about this. Today, a year later, we remember these men who were lost and we seek justice for them. There are those of us who will never forget 9/11 nor will we forget Benghazi and we'll work to keep it in the forefront so that no one else is allowed to forget, either!
In closing, thank you to all our police, firefighters, first responders, and military for all they did that day and continue to do to protect America and her citizens. Sometimes you have a thankless job...but not all of us are ungrateful or take you for granted and I hope you'll always remember that.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Keep writing please! I'm going to start back if you will as well :). It was a tough year, but you know what? It's a brand new one now!
ReplyDelete