Sunday, December 23, 2012

Something About Christmas Time

In the spirit of the holidays, I've been trying to steer away from politics and current events  (just temporarily). It's not that I don't think about those things during the holidays-how can you escape it? But everyday life is full of bad news, stress and strife. Sometimes it can be overwhelming. With so much sadness in the world, at this time I wanted to focus on some positive, happy things. (Lest y'all think I am becoming a squishy soft tree-hugging pansy lib or something, just wanted to set the record straight-the fire is still there.)  :)

I did want to say to all those out there who are stressing out because the holidays are upon us: STOP. The holidays should be FUN. You know, that stuff you used to have before you became a grown up and thought you had to do everything right. I've never understood why people get so stressed out during the holidays. I experienced it first hand the other day when we were TRYING to go Christmas shopping for my son. Within a few minutes, the other half was about to have a stroke because of all the traffic. I said, "So...you didn't realize it was Christmas time, people are off work and decided to do the exact same thing we are doing? This is a complete surprise to you?"  :) He didn't think my good natured sarcasm was very funny... Why are people so surprised or frustrated when *OMG* there's TRAFFIC or CROWDS during the HOLIDAYS!  Do we really need some of those traffic signs that say, "Christmas is here...Expect Delays"?!  Did it really just sneak up on you? Not like it's the same time every year or anything... *eye roll*  :)  Instead of letting that attitude kill my Christmas joy, I ended up going Christmas shopping for my little boy by myself and the Christmas spirit was preserved.

Then there's trying to cram everything into a few short days...rush, rush, rush...and no one can enjoy the activities for any length of time because there's always somewhere else to be RIGHT NOW! TEN MINUTES AGO!  I refuse to do that. If I miss something or am a little late to something because my son is having a great time (or I am), oh well. The joy is what we're aiming for, right? Or that used to be the general idea. (Holly Jolly Christmas, anyone?) If I'm not able to make one more batch of cookies, or make one more ornament, then the world won't end. (I mean, if the Mayans can't even call it, is Pillsbury really going to be the deciding factor? LOL) I wrote a previous blog about what was important and it doesn't apply only at the holidays, but every day: time. We should take a little time to stop and look around at those beautiful lights and appreciate the effort that went into putting them up...the love and care and time it took to make those delicious treats someone brought for you...the time someone took to have lunch with you or coffee during this busy season...My wish for everyone is that when someone mentions the holidays, the first thing you think isn't, "Ugh...STRESS!" I'm hoping it'll be something close to what I think of, which is, "Yay! I can't wait!"  :)   Merry Christmas to all! 

P.S. You may have recognized the title of the post as the title of the Christmas song by Bryan Adams. I've always loved that song. I may post a playlist of my favorite ones at some point. 

No comments:

Post a Comment