Monday, December 17, 2012

Merry Christmas X 150!

Every Christmas season, I try to pick a couple of different groups or charities to give to, even if money is tight and I don't have a lot to give. I figure there's always someone who needs that little bit more than I need a pedicure or a new book. In addition to that, I did something new that I hope someone out there who reads this (or maybe all of y'all?) would consider either this Christmas or next. I would ask that you please remember our veterans-specifically the elderly ones in the veterans' homes by sending them Christmas cards. One Christmas card (or as many as you can send!) would mean a great deal to them.
Your state veterans' homes are easy to locate and contact and often welcome any show of interest in the residents. (I searched for my local one online and it even listed the secretary's email address.) When I emailed the secretary, I got a very quick response. I just asked if I could send the residents Christmas cards and asked how many were currently living there. So I learned that 150 times is a LOT of times to sign your name but challenge accepted! I tried to add a small note of thanks or a nice Christmas wish in each one to make it a little more personal. So that no one would be left out, ALL residents of the home would receive a card even though the secretary thought I meant just a few. Well, I couldn't have gone through Christmas wondering if someone would be that one person who didn't get a card from anyone.
Here was my final cost and WELL worth the happy feeling I got doing something small in appreciation for the veterans:
5 boxes of Christmas cards: $15
1 large bubble mailer $2
1 priority mail stamp: $6
For $23 I may have been able to help make Christmas a tiny bit better for some American heroes. The thing is, you don't have to go whole hog like I did-a handful of cards, just one or two even, would be good. Happiness & smiles are wonderful gifts to share at Christmas, and to give it to those who sacrificed so much for you-well, it's not near enough obviously, but to be remembered is often all they ask.

No comments:

Post a Comment