One of the main stories in the news this week is the debate over whether military and former military members have the same First Amendment rights as the rest of us. Let's not sugar coat it or deny it. That's exactly what it's about. I'll hear no argument on that one. General Martin Dempsey, the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, came out with some statements that caused quite a stir, to say the least. He believes the military should be "apolitical." He's disturbed at a (growing) number of former (and some current) military members who have come out publicly against the current administration. This statement about being apolitical is pure bullshit. I'm calling it now, unapologetically. As active and non-active members of the finest fighting force the world has ever known, the U.S. military, they have a right to exercise the First Amendment rights they fought and bled for. The Chairman, in issuing such asinine statements, proves himself to be anything but apolitical. The stifling (or attempt to stifle) First Amendment rights is unacceptable. (*PLEASE NOTE: I do not condone violating OPSEC. The president I can't speak for as he violates it without a care in the world.)
The former Navy SEALs who are defending their good name (after Obama verbally belittled them and their accomplishments) have every right to support and publicly campaign for whomever they choose. Frankly, in my experience as a former military spouse, I can tell you that these people know EXACTLY who has their back-and it is not this president or the liberals who disdain the very actions they take to keep us safe. They've seen that Obama unashamedly uses them as props, trotting them out and name dropping in a self-serving ploy every time he thinks he needs a boost in the polls. That would be bad enough, but then to take credit for their work is a slap in the face to them. All this is done in detriment to their safety, and the leaks which have resulted from his glory-hound ways is abhorrent, unacceptable and threatens national security. When he publicly named SEAL Team 6 as the unit that took out Bin Laden, he may as well have handed out flyers with all their names, addresses, phone numbers and family members' names on them. He put a target on their backs-he put them in danger. He put this nation in even more danger. This, I believe, was the last straw for these good men and the SEALs as a whole. They needed to speak out. People need to know-they can suffer in silence no longer. They deserve a voice just like the rest of us, especially if they are putting their lives on the line so all of us can be free. When your own commander in chief does not have your back, belittles you publicly and constantly puts you in a position of unnecessary danger-how long do you stay silent?
One other thing Dempsey said that I take issue with was that these men, in speaking out like that, are eroding the trust between the military and the American people. I literally laughed out loud when I read that. There is no one I trust MORE than the U.S. military! If it comes down between America and the government, the military is sworn to uphold the Constitution of the United States. Obama will lose in this attempt to vilify our military and make them seem like a bunch of scary goons who are out to get him. This is not Egypt or Syria. I trust that the military would side with the American people-because the vast majority of us support them. (hmm...yeah that'd be a hard decision, wouldn't it? American people who mostly love us vs. CIC who throws us under the bus every chance he gets, cuts our benefits and puts us in danger.) I can tell you right now, without hesitation, that I side with our military EVERY TIME. Sorry, Zero. You are SOL. We have their 6's-and we wish we could personally kick yours.
One side note-yes, I do realize that the oath of enlistment states "I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States....according to the regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice..." How I read that is: first, they defend the Constitution. THEN obey the orders of the president. Two questions that I am not sure if anyone has addressed but that I hope have been answered somewhere in a satisfactory way are regarding where loyalties lie. First, what if the president (whomever he may be, whether it's this disaster in there now, or another one) violates the Constitution? Are they (military) not sworn to FIRST uphold the Constitution? And my second question, which I also hope there is an answer to, is: does the oath mean that the president must also go by the UCMJ or his orders are null & void? I hope I am reading that right because if I am, Obama's in a shyte-load of trouble if he tries to manipulate our military men and women AND our country in such a way that those men and women are forced to choose between obeying his orders and defending the American people. (I really do hope I'm reading that right...)
All this said, I await the Republican Convention this coming week with anticipation. The Special Operations Forces for America have stated they will be there and will be visible-and heard! They need to hold the administration's feet to the fire-stand up for their First Amendment rights! They more than earned them. I support them 100%.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment