Sunday, August 12, 2012

Say What You Mean & Mean What You Say

This post is not about President George W. Bush, but he's an excellent example of what I wanted to address, so I'm going with him. One thing you always knew about President Bush was that whether you agreed with him or not, you always knew where he stood on an issue. Say what you mean and mean what you say. It's something I think too many people have trouble with today, both professionally and personally. Either they're so afraid they'll hurt someone's feelings or (even worse) not care about anyone's feelings enough to tell the truth, that they hem-haw around and don't mean a thing they say. It is beyond annoying. Inconstancy: changing frequently with no apparent reason for the change. Inconsistency: a disconnect between what is said, what is meant and what is done. I see it all too often at work, but especially in people I come into contact with every day. Trustworthiness apparently is not a virtue people aspire to anymore. Even those you'd think would be the most trustworthy often turn out to be the least. They get offended though when you point it out! As I get older, I have come to the realization that I don't have to put up with that. I need people around me who say what they mean and mean what they say. I only ask what I am willing to do myself. While I am not one to completely cut people off as friends, "forewarned is forearmed." If I find your promises and statements lack meaning, then know I consider you one of those acquaintances I cannot completely trust and therefore I limit what I tell you & trust you with in my life-the things that really matter to me. Basically, you are entertainment and I merely raise an eyebrow and smile in some disbelief at your ability to continue through life prevaricating. I am one of the most fun-loving, happy people you will ever meet (sometimes annoyingly so, I'm sure!) but some situations demand sincerity and trust. I used to think that wasn't too much to ask-I'm hoping my faith in humanity will be vindicated. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment