Sunday, July 29, 2012

In Honor of An Outstanding Friend

There's a saying that people come into your life and they may be your friends for a short time or for many years...some even become friends for life. Whether it's that nice lady who went to lunch with you when you had jury duty because she noticed you were very pregnant and might like someone to sit and talk with...or the people you only know at work but may not hang out with outside of work...or someone you write to, chat with online for years but may never meet in person...all those people have a role in your life. (all those apply to myself, just FYI.) The last person I mentioned would be my friend, a Marine major who (though he has a name) I've just called him "G" over the last several years. Eight years ago, I sent a letter to an as-yet-unknown Marine contact over in Afghanistan as part of AnySoldier.com (before they branched off into AnyMarine, AnySailor, etc.)  I sent packages and letters to the Marines with him but G was always the one to write back-and some interesting and funny letters they were. Once he had better access to IM and email, it was easier to keep up with and get to know him better. We struck up a friendship and I am so blessed that it has continued to this day. He's seen me through some rough times and some joyous times. If it's one person I can count on to tell it to me straight and point me in the right direction, it is G. Through three of his several deployments and a move to an entirely different continent, we have kept in contact. Several moves, career advancements, breakups, marriage, families beginning and growing-it's been an interesting journey. I can't thank him enough for his friendship, which has meant the world to me. And now a funny note, as I write this, he has just sent me a message. LOL I swear he can read my mind. Whenever I am troubled or just need a little motivation, it seems like that is when I hear from him...a little message or Tweet...it's like he has ESP.  :)  He gives awesome advice and is the most motivational person I know. He's the kind of friend I would wish for everyone-and I just wanted to say how outstanding a man, a Marine, a husband, dad, and FRIEND he is,  that I know him to be and how incredibly thankful I am that I wrote to him that first time and that he answered that letter. A personal note to him : Thank you, buddy. If you don't realize it, you touch so many lives in such a positive way and that is what everyone should aspire to do! You are my hero.

No comments:

Post a Comment