Some of you have asked over the last couple of days if anything was wrong because I wasn't very talkative. We have had a good bit of sad news at work this week and I am one of those people that isn't able to detach from that and act like nothing's wrong. I've been through a few Kleenex there at my desk. Our HR person/my immediate supervisor's dad is dying of cancer. They called in hospice this week and they are giving him just a few days-she traveled to Indiana to be with him. Though my supervisor and I are not close, I feel for her because that's her dad and she's the only girl. He's not that old-early 60's, younger than my parents-so to me, it just seems unfair that he's not so very old and this has happened. He should have 15 or 20 more years ahead of him but he didn't go to the doctor in time and therefore it was further along when they found it.
The second bit of bad news was, to me, in a way...worse. I do scheduling for a large dental practice with multiple offices but before we expanded, I worked in the main office and knew many of the patients. Even now when I call about appointments, if it's someone I know, I'll chat with them for a bit to catch up. One particular family I knew fairly well-I went to high school with the dad and he now has 6 children (some from 1st marriage, one from the second and some adopted children). Marty is a good dad-he is always the one who brings them to their appointments and is very involved in all they do. On Wednesday, we received a call from a local coroner's office. They were requesting any xrays we had on one of the older children, a sweet girl that resembled Marty with her sandy blonde hair and shy smile. There had been a fiery car crash the night before on a winding road in a neighboring county and they needed to positively identify the body. We were taken aback. The five years I've been there, although we've had patients pass away, we've never had a call from the coroner's office for records. I pulled up her xrays on the computer and emailed them to the coroner's office with a short note saying we were requesting ortho records as well from her orthodontist and as soon as we had them (if there were any) I'd forward them. A couple hours later, I got a reply from the coroner, thanking me for sending the xrays but that we need not send more. They'd made a positive ID from the full mouth (panoramic) xray. That's when I cried. She was only 17. About to start her senior year in high school. Poor Marty. Her mom. Her brothers and sisters and stepmom. Nobody should have to bury their child. It has not been an easy last couple of days. I keep thinking about my own little son and how I'd feel if he were taken from me. I pray for that family who has lost such a sweet daughter & sister. I think the only thing that could get you through something like that is the love of God and I pray for comfort for them.
So this very sad work week is over for me. Tomorrow I will spend some time with my son since I am off and cherish those hours. I'll look forward to visiting with my mom & dad sometime this weekend-they won't always be with me. One last thing...those of you who noticed and were concerned-I cherish you, too. Even when it wasn't something I could talk about just yet, it was nice to know you were there to listen when I was ready. Thank you so much and I just ask if you'd think about and pray for my supervisor and her family as well as our patient's family who are hurting.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment