Monday, May 25, 2009

Memorial Day and the State of American Education

I really wish people would teach their kids and re-educate themselves on what Memorial Day is about. It's not about sales at the mall, or going out on the lake, or cookouts or drinking copious amounts of alcohol.(although having a drink in memory of those who fought so you could be there to do it is appropriate). It's not just another day off work or an excuse for the post office and banks to be closed. What it is, is a day for all Americans (and frankly, it should be a day for most of the free world) to stop and remember those who fought to keep freedom alive and bring that freedom to all parts of the world. In that vein, I therefore have a peeve about people saying "Happy Memorial Day." It's not a happy holiday! It's a day of remembrance for the dead! I usually just say "Have a good Memorial Day."
I'm disappointed in our educational system (the one we keep throwing multitudes of money at but it still doesn't help) for not truly educating our citizens about American traditions. Disappointed but not surprised. I think that it will be up to each individual to educate themselves. I learned very young (and pretty much on my own) that the education I was receiving wasn't entirely accurate or comprehensive in the least. Knowledge is power, and so I determined to educate myself on things I did not learn in school. I would read things about Memorial Day, the American Revolution, the Vietnam War and other things that I wasn't learning in my history classes. Often the teachers would just gloss over this conflict or that presidency, an important event or person. I know from speaking more recently with other teachers and students that the educational system has not improved, in fact has gotten even worse, than when I was in school.
So it looks like it's up to us-pretty much the last generation who had any type of education regarding American values and traditions-to pass that knowledge and the desire for more knowledge on to our children, friends and neighbors. Otherwise, we'll have more kids grow up to think that Memorial Day is just another day off, and forget about the most precious treasure of Americans: our veterans. My eternal gratitude to all those who gave their lives in defense of America, her values and freedoms around the world! It's a debt none of us can ever repay.

No comments:

Post a Comment