Everybody likes money-to some extent. It helps pay the bills, keeps your lights on, helps buy food to put on your table and gas to put in your car. In order to get that money (legally) you have to work for it. But sometimes you do things others might consider work just because you enjoy it, and you don't get paid for it. Or at least not with money. Others might wonder why you would do it then, if hard work or your own money was involved, if not for some type of reward? Sometimes you do these things because it's the right thing to do, or because it's a cause close to your heart.
About 5 years ago, I was searching for something that I could do to make a difference. My job was good, and I was taking college classes to try to better myself, but what could I do RIGHT THEN to make a difference? So many charities to choose from, so many people in need, not a lot of money to contribute...I can't remember how I found them, but I am thankful for that day. Others may not think that grown men with guns would be "people in need," but there are different types of need. I knew in order to stay interested in the cause, I'd need to find something that believed in, admired and could do for the long haul. That's when I found AnySoldier.
Five years ago, it was just "AnySoldier.com," a small website that had just started out and they were trying to connect soldiers, sailors, Marines and Air Force personnel with people at home who would write to them. Later, they would branch out into "AnyMarine.com," "AnySailor.com," etc. Basically, these were our warriors, far from home, fighting in the War on Terror, and some had no one at home who wrote to them, for whatever reason. Each contact had a short profile that told what country they were stationed in, how many personnel they came into contact with, and what they needed. Many of the guys were not near a PX, and didn't have any way to get such basics as eye drops (the desert wind will take its toll very quickly), sunblock, soap, shaving cream, little snacks like trail mix or something, ANYTHING besides MRE's! Can you imagine being without a way to get soap? For months? Sheets for your bed (if you even had one!) or socks? There is only so much you can pack into a seabag or duffle bag. And if you're over there for a year or more, you'll go through some socks! So many times though, these warriors would ask only for letters, hating to impose upon the American public for these basic needs. After reading only a few profiles, I knew I had to help. I couldn't contribute much, but I would try. At least they would know they had my support, despite a callous and often hostile media at home.
Who to choose? Some of the stories brought tears to my eyes. I couldn't help them all, though I wanted to. I decided to choose 2 contacts, one Marine and one Army. (I have a huge soft spot for Marines as many men in my family served as Marines, and I also had people in my family that had served in the Army). It was the best decision I ever made. The first was a Marine captain deployed to Afghanistan. I wasn't sure if he would write me back, but I figured that was ok. They just needed to know of my support, and I sent a small package with some of the things he requested for his Marines. Not long after, maybe 2 weeks, I received my first letter, from Gary, the Marine captain, who told me a little about his life there in AFG and some funny things about being there. I still have those letters. Later, we would trade email addresses and I would come to know him as "G," my buddy,through another deployment, and then another. Five years later, a lot has changed, but one thing has not. I gained a friend, someone who I admire as a great Marine and more importantly, a great American. Soon he will deploy again, and I will send more packages, letters and support.
The second contact I chose was a captain from the Virginia Army National Guard. We were close in age, and from his posts at AnySoldier, he seemed to have a good sense of humor. About a month after my first letter and package to him, I received a letter back. Todd and I realized the futility of the mail system and he maintained that his handwriting was awful, so we soon traded email addresses and IM screen names so we could chat. Those were the good old days...we'd be in the middle of some good discussion and a storm would come through, and down went the COMMS! Five years later, we still talk and I still send him cookies every so often for holidays, birthdays, and just because he needs to eat. (no woman, still. He says he's married to the Army. I told him the Army doesn't feed him very well.) He deploys again in a few weeks, and he's already counting on the letters, Reese's Pieces and cookies. I will not disappoint! I think even after all this time, he still doesn't understand why I would help a stranger. I have tried to explain, but I think I am not eloquent enough.
My most current contacts are special as well. Marines in Iraq and Afghanistan, doing the job that the majority of us won't or can't do. They're doing a fabulous job, too, by the way! With young men and women like these, we cannot fail. They are the best of America. How can I not support them? We may never meet each other, yet we know each other. We are neighbors, family, friends...we are Americans. (and hey, according to Janet Napolitano, now we're all potential domestic terrorists together! Yay! I had to throw that in there...that crap still infuriates me.)
Over the last 5 years, I have spent thousands of dollars in goods to go in care packages, cards, stationery, stamps, shipping...money that some people think could have gone to something for myself, or a charity, or a variety of other things. I don't regret one dime spent, one hour used to write letters, time spent in lines at the post office, time spent making cookies ...in spite of all the money I've spent, I have been rewarded greatly! I have friends that I care for as family, and perhaps there will be others like that. And I have made a difference if I have let one soldier, one Marine, know they were not forgotten and that I believe in them and their ability, and the rightness of what they are doing.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment