Saturday, March 28, 2009

How far we've come

I was watching the space shuttle Discovery landing just now and I couldn't help but think back to the first time I saw the shuttle. I was 9 years old, and my daddy had told me that they were going to put the shuttle on the back of a Boeing jet to fly it to Florida for the very first launch, and that at a certain time of day, we would be able to see it flying over. My brother and I watched the news that day while at our babysitter's house and when they reported that it was about to fly over, we ran outside to watch. Sure enough, after a few minutes of waiting, we could see the jet with Columbia piggybacked on top of it. I will never forget that sight. I had never cared much for science in school, but after that, anything about space was high on my list.

As a junior in high school, we gathered around the tv in the library to watch the news when Challenger exploded 73 seconds into launch, killing all 7 astronauts on board.
In 2003, we were heartbroken again when Columbia disintegrated on reentry; Columbia, that first shuttle that inspired so many as children here in Huntsville to eventually contribute to the space program.

Here in Huntsville we have a great amount of pride invested in the space program; it's why we're called The Rocket City. In the 1940's, Wernher Von Braun brought his German rocket team here to develop America's space program. Now we are a home to George C. Marshall Space Flight Center, NASA, Boeing, Lockheed Martin, and so many other contractors who contribute to the success of the shuttle and space exploration.

As a nation, we have gotten very used to seeing the shuttle go up and it no longer is a big deal to many people. Some question why we even need the program anymore or what it even does for us; they think it's a waste of money. Well, let's see...if you're reading this on a computer, you can thank the space program for helping to develop those processors and chips in your computer's motherboard. If you like talking on your cell phone...thank NASA. Those hip replacements, artificial joint replacements for the elderly or anyone else who needs them...courtesy of the space program. High-tech prosthetic limbs? Technology developed on space shuttle missions.
Breast cancer detection, programmable pacemakers, ultrasound scanners, MRI's, better brakes for your car, water purification systems, scratch-resistant lenses, smoke detectors, fire-resistant clothing...I could name a hundred more things at least...no, NASA and space exploration has done NOTHING for mankind! *rolling my eyes* This is what happens in public schools now...they don't TEACH anything. Makes homeschooling more and more attractive....but I digress.

After 2010, there are no more scheduled flights of the space shuttle. Atlantis, Endeavor and Discovery will be retired from service, to be replaced by a new spacecraft called Orion. How many more children will it inspire to contribute? We've come so far from that first launch, but there's still so far to go. If we always keep that adventurous, exploratory spirit alive that inspired Von Braun and hundreds of others, we will discover so many more things that could benefit us.

So watch those launches and landings while you still can-you're watching history.

No comments:

Post a Comment