Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Thoughts on the must-see movie, Lone Survivor

Usually, I don't do movie reviews because everyone's tastes are different and people will decide to go see what they want to see. This is different, something I felt I had to write about for whomever reads this blog. Today I saw Lone Survivor, based on the book of the same name by Marcus Luttrell. Thanks to Marcus insisting that he be there to make sure the adaptation to film was as accurate as possible, I can report that was a huge success.

I want to start off by saying I read and enjoyed the book years ago when it first came out. I recommend reading that first. As someone who is an avowed bookworm, I have honestly never read a book that literally kept me on the edge of my seat for much of it as Lone Survivor did. I was therefore skeptical-could the story really be done justice on film?  In short-it was. Obviously some things had to be left out due to time constraints and also because Marcus didn't want to be the entire focus of the story. It did not diminish the overall production, however. By the end, you will have no doubt as to the following facts: these men are heroes. They do not quit. They are the toughest men you can imagine but they are also men with feelings and loved ones and a love of country. They are not like you and me-it's my express opinion that they are better in many ways. They go halfway around the world to protect us here at home, to fight for the weak against ruthless oppressors, leaving behind loved ones they fully know they may never see again. Would many of us do the same? I think deep down we know the answer. These are the men we should hold in esteem though they do not ask for it!

Getting back to the movie, I was a bit unsure when I heard Mark Wahlberg was going to play Marcus. I know it's a movie but I'm a realist-I expected they'd pick someone taller who didn't have a Boston accent to play him. :) Don't misunderstand me-I love Mark Wahlberg! And he won me over. I thought he did an excellent job with the part. From all accounts he wanted Marcus there too and wanted it to be as true to life and the book as possible. I respect that greatly.

Some people who have seen it said they had to look away at parts. I admit there were a few times-when Danny, Axe and Murph were killed. It was difficult to watch because I knew it would happen.But there is always a part of me that wants it to end differently, as I am sure everyone wishes the same. When Marcus falls off the mountain the time he breaks his back, I'm sure everyone in the theater heard me (sorry y'all!)...it was cringe-worthy and I realized I had sat straight up in my seat while I watched it, tense. When you see them struggling to get the comms to work and in the back of your mind you know they won't til Murph sacrifices himself...and still you hope they can just get a signal for a second or two...yes, if you're anything like me, that'll run through your mind. The actors who took on these roles, the director who was all in and wanted to make (in my opinion) the gold standard of war movies and make people realize how blessed we are to have men such as these defending America...they succeeded in their attempts to bring these men to life on the silver screen and the events to the public's consciousness. I cannot stress enough to each person who may read this-see this movie! And as Marcus asked, please stay til the credits roll because they show pictures of the real men who lost their lives in that op. They aren't just names or one more casualty in a war. They were people-fellow Americans-with lives, loved ones...and they made a difference in this world! They have my utmost respect and undying gratitude. Footnote: I do plan to see it again. It was THAT good. I usually see a movie once and if I like it, I'll get it on DVD but this movie is worth seeing again in the theater.

No comments:

Post a Comment