Monday, March 11, 2013
Do Not Surrender the Man Card!
As any of my regular readers know, I will sometimes (often during football season) veer from subjects having to do with current events and politics to vent about different things. This particular post has to do with something that gripes me to no end.
I am way past done with women attempting to feminize men. Men should be MEN. They are supposed to be masculine, which means they are hairier, sweatier and sometimes like to do things women aren't interested in. Therefore, memo to all women: They do NOT have to accompany you to every stupid girly event on your social calendar. Sometimes we like to do things they aren't interested in. (or should. It makes you a well rounded, independent person.) So do NOT hound/harass/threaten/insinuate they will be "punished" in some way if they don't want to go. That is just wrong! You know what men who ALWAYS have to cancel something THEY want to do to accompany the little woman to some boring dinner, movie or event are called? Well, they used to call them henpecked, but the term these days is a lot more colorful. For the sake of retaining some vestige of gentility, I will just refer to it as being "p-whipped." And you know what the "p" stands for.
My view is this: I have GIRL friends to go to the chick movies with (and frankly, I would rather see an action movie but sometimes the lure of Channing Tatum is too much to resist). I would never DREAM of asking my guy (or any guy) to give up tickets to a football or baseball game, or something equally fun, to go with me to something I know he'd hate. (Truthfully, I'd probably be the one to say, "Wow, coincidence! I have some tickets too. I'll see you there." Unless he wants me to go with him-I'm a pretty fun chick-in which case, better seats wins out.)
This is not to say he gets a pass for everything every time (just like YOU shouldn't!) but for the love of Pete, CUT THE APRON STRINGS! I have a hard time believing, much less respecting, the intestinal fortitude if you will, of any man who becomes a "Yes, dear" man and loses himself...the very same self who was so interesting because he did all the fun stuff even if you didn't share all the same likes.
And guys-this memo is for you: you have GOT to stand up for yourselves! She won't go to the ball game or sit through a movie you like without complaining but expects YOU to? Screw that. Why should you give up golf, hiking, the ball games, EVERY TIME? If you volunteer, of course, you're on your own and sometimes that's ok, but don't surrender your man card. An emasculated man is NOT attractive. (this means all you purse holders out there. I have NEVER and WILL NEVER ask a man to hold my purse, nor ask him to buy "personal" items if you know what I mean. All kinds of wrong there.)
To sum it up: I am NOT saying NEVER go with your significant other to something you probably won't like. But you don't have to live in their pocket, either. It's really ok to do something with friends...or alone...and you should sometimes. It's great that you want to put others first, especially someone you care about...but if they never let you be first EVER or very rarely, what's wrong with that picture? In a word: selfishness. And there's no room in love for selfishness. That type of behavior is very controlling and at some point, you will do one of two things: become so beat down and give in until you lose what makes you "you," or you will completely rebel and things will get ugly...neither of those scenarios is good for either partner.
So that's my "rant" for tonight...(can you tell by all caps in some places what REALLY gripes me? LOL) :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment