Monday, November 12, 2012

Respect & Appreciation for Our Veterans

Today I took my son to the Veteran's Day parade here in my hometown. It was unfortunately raining and a little chilly, but my personal opinion is that our military men & women often endure blazing heat, freezing cold and pouring rain for us, so it will not kill me to stand in a little rain to show my appreciation for all they sacrifice for us. What dismays me is the number of people that a little rain DOES deter. OK, y'all know me too well...it doesn't just dismay me. It pisses me off. I'm not talking about those who aren't able (sick, have to work, etc.). I mean the ones who are at the mall instead. I once read a quote from a Marine who, upon reading the statement that "America is at war," said, "No, the MARINES are at war...America is at the mall." Boy, was he on the money or what. Seriously, so you couldn't spend an hour at a parade to honor the men & women who gave all for you? You didn't have the patience to fight a little traffic for those who fought and STILL fight for your freedoms? No wonder this country is going to hell in a handbasket. When we forget or dismiss the people who put on a uniform every day and do things that you would never do for the pay you would laugh at...we're headed for trouble. Our veterans and our military are our greatest treasures! They are all that stand between us and foreign threats. We need to treat them with the proper respect and we really need to tell them every chance we get how much we appreciate them! You'd think at least ONE DAY that people could actually do that. The disappointing turnout today is the VERY REASON I take off work every year for this day and take my son. I want him to learn, I want him to KNOW who he owes his freedom to and always be thankful for these wonderful men and women who serve our country. If only every parent would do that...

No comments:

Post a Comment