Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Something a little different

This post will definitely be different than the last few. A while back, I said that sometimes I'd post things about my personal life, such as observations about being a mother or something funny my son did. I know, boring to most people. This one is just about something that has crossed my mind a lot since becoming a mom.
Some background: I was 40 when I became pregnant with my little son. He's my one and only child and most likely will remain so. I admit I had hoped to have two or three children but sometimes that's not what God has planned for you...the saying goes, "If you want to make God laugh, make plans."  He's probably had a lot of really good laughs with me over the years. I'm a planner, a list maker. :)  Usually all for naught.  Anyway, my son was definitely planned-a lot of people ask that when they see my age and how young Iain is. Most of my classmates from high school already have children in college or even ones that have graduated college. A couple are even grandparents already! (started early...)  After having him and experiencing the best 27 months of my life, I have to say I wish I'd started sooner-but again, God had other plans.
So what I was thinking about today as I sat watching my baby-who's becoming less of a baby and more of a little boy every day-is exactly how much I've enjoyed every thing about being a mom. Most people complain about the spit up (Iain never spit up...no idea why, he just didn't), the sleepless nights (again...seriously, that child slept all night from about 7 weeks until now. I wish I slept that good), that you rarely have time to yourself (this is true. I do miss reading a book all in one sitting. Those days are over for a while!) and how they can't wait til the child is potty trained. I swear, I have never even minded that. The mess, the clutter, the noise...if you waited as long as I did for a child...those are the most precious moments you'll ever experience. Other people get upset that first time the child writes on the wall with the crayons. I laughed. I can't get it off because it's textured paint and I'll have to paint over it, but so what! Now I know to count ALL the crayons to make sure they're all there and he's not hiding one somewhere for future unsanctioned art work. When I'm trying to do something in another room and I hear "Mommy! Mommy! Mommy!" from that little voice...I don't get too exasperated. I smile. I waited many long years to hear that. The greatest reward for my patience (and sometimes impatience) to have a baby...is that little boy. And what a joy he's been so far. I look forward to watching him grow, even though I'll miss these times. He's learning so much every day and it's fun to watch!
My other observation is that I thought I was a patient person already until I had him. I taught preschool for about 9 years and had encountered every situation you might imagine with 2 to 5 year olds-but I got to send those children home every day. I certainly was wrong about the extent of my patience-I became even more laid back than I already was. I attribute this partly to my age because if I'd been younger when I had him, I don't think I'd have been nearly as patient. Now, I let the small stuff go-that stuff that really doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things. I'd rather spend the time I would have spent worrying or complaining, loving my son and spending time with him, laughing with him and learning with him. In a previous post, I said that when I was pregnant, I wondered if I'd enjoy motherhood. The answer: I HIGHLY recommend it. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment