Saturday, July 21, 2012

Gun Control Madness

I debated whether to address this issue because someone close to me has a conflicting view (frankly, they are on the fence) and I didn't want to step on their toes or make it seem like they were just a freakin' idiot. But I have got to address it. The tragedy of the massacre in Aurora, Colorado has awoken once again the rampant stupidity in calling for more gun control. Pro-gun advocates such as myself do not have to be told the statistics and facts regarding an armed society being a safer society. (You think there would have been as many-or even any-deaths in that theater if someone or several someones had been licensed for concealed carry? Short answer: hell no.)  Liberal, anti-gun supporters are wanting to gut the 2nd Amendment and this cannot be allowed to happen. They refuse to face the facts that evil exists out there in the real world and people bent on committing murder don't need a gun to do it. If they're really gung-ho about doing it, they'll use any weapon at their disposal. When the person I was speaking to said that it would have been a lot harder for the shooter to kill all those people without a gun, I mentioned several scenarios that could have killed the same amount or more people...dirty bomb, anthrax, sarin gas...even a knife in the ribs. I demonstrated by having them sit in a chair,back to me.. and showing them how anyone could come up behind them and slide a knife between the ribs and it could be done pretty quietly. There wasn't much argument from the person after that although they didn't like being wrong.  :) (and who knew I had a criminal mind! LOL) Seriously though, my point was that a gun really cannot kill people by itself. Damn crazy people and just plain mean as hell people kill other people and unfortunately they sometimes use guns...but if one is not available, you can bet bare hands, knives and baseball bats will be used. 

I believe I have mentioned many times I'm not really a conspiracy theorist looking for black helicopters and believing that the government is behind every single bad thing that happens. But power corrupts and the famous quote goes that absolute power corrupts absolutely. When government gets too big and no longer fears the people, those in power will seek more power and run rampant over your liberties. The liberals prey upon the fears of others when something occurs like the shooting in Aurora. We cannot let that happen. We've already seen how they try to demonize our military any time there's a whisper of an incident (and the vast majority of those are unfounded, never brought to any kind of trial or hearing, NOTHING. Because nothing wrong happened.) They are now trying to demonize guns and gun owners. They want all of us to just hand over our guns because we might hurt someone. Well Sparky, that's the point. I have a small child. If someone breaks in my house, I do believe they have an evil intent. I will protect my child, my life and my property.  I WILL kill them. So my advice is, leave my guns alone and to anyone thinking of breaking in my house... DON'T.  Simple. No new laws needed. 
The anti-gun goofballs (and the person I was having the short-lived debate with) have a lot of trouble admitting that if you ban guns, criminals will not give a flying rat's butt. They will steal them or buy them on the black market. I really do not get the line of thinking that criminals will just say, "Oh snap. I can't buy a gun anymore legally. Whatever shall I do?" It makes me want to scream! 

It's a constant struggle against those who want to take the liberties of the rest of us but we have to be on our toes all the time to guard against that. One of my favorite quotes is from Thomas Jefferson. "The price of liberty is eternal vigilance."  Those are words that are as true today as they were over 200 years ago and we need to heed them. 

2 comments:

  1. I have a comment about what you wrote. I’m not here to debate guns and gun control but I doubt if there were people in the theater carrying a concealed weapon it would have stopped much of the violence. This attack was a well-planned and the kid that did this knew his surroundings very well. You don’t know the lay of the theatre and it was dark. This kid goes in and sets off tear gas and then starts shooting. This has to set off tremendous panic. I work with people who panic when the printer is jammed. You’re going to have tremendous chaos, people running for their lives, pushing shoving. Someone that wants to shoot at this guy would have to be able to withstand the tear gas, not get pushed over or have someone thinking he is part of the attack. I don’t know if you’ve ever been hit with tear gas, it’s not fun, even worse when you don’t know it’s coming. Someone would have to be highly trained to stop this. Not a few courses at the local gun shop. There are some situations where having a person carrying a gun would help I don’t think this was one of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are correct about not knowing the lay of the place and that most people would panic. I do believe however that there could have been at least a few people in that place that would have had more than a few courses down at the local gun shop and would not have panicked.From experience, in the majority of cases, responsible gun owners who take the time to apply for concealed carry are more trained with their firearms than those who are not. Also, I tend to have a little more faith in people (whether naive and misplaced or not). They were taken by surprise-but there are some people who react well to things like that (military/combat vets?). My premise really was about gun control and things like this being used to try to force more laws on us and whittle away our liberties. I am not a professional writer (Captain Obvious strikes again! LOL) I just write what I feel. I appreciate your input. I need to be a little better at getting my point across. :)

    ReplyDelete