Wednesday, February 5, 2014

The Coke Ad...Watch it, I'm feelin' sassy.

As y'all probably have seen by now, there was a controversial commercial aired by Coca Cola during the Super Bowl this year. It featured people of different nationalities singing "America the Beautiful." Some of it was sung in English but most of it was sung in different languages. Those of us who didn't care for it have been labeled racists, small minded, etc...but here is the reason I didn't like it. I don't care if people of other nationalities want to sing "America the Beautiful." America, as has been pointed out, is indeed a melting pot. What people(read: libs and the historically uneducated) leave out is that immigrants have always come to this country, and WANTED to be Americans..not because they wanted anything more than freedom...and they didn't mind WORKING for it. They WANTED to be citizens! They wanted to learn the language. English was the way to get ahead and not be cheated or taken advantage of in such a large place and it guaranteed they would have an edge over fellow immigrants who had not yet learned the language of the country. So if the immigrants featured in the Coke ad really wanted to BE Americans and think America is the greatest place, greater than that shithole of a 3rd world nation they left behind, they would WANT to assimilate and speak English. To hammer home my point...if I was traveling ANYWHERE for ANY length of time without a trusted interpreter, or better yet if I was going to live somewhere longer than 2 or 3 months, I would LEARN THE LANGUAGE. How would you read street signs, maps, addresses, etc., otherwise? If someone was giving you directions, HOW do you know they aren't sending you somewhere to be jumped, robbed and killed if you don't understand what they're saying??? Do you think evil people only live HERE? How do you know you're not being taken advantage of when you're paying for something if you don't know the language? It's a huge safety issue and it can be solved by KNOWING and SPEAKING the language! So if these people singing "America the Beautiful" were really proud of being American and really wanted to truly BE American...they should sing it in English...the most touching thing to ME would have been those people singing it in broken English, trying their best to show off their new language skills. That USED to be a point of pride for immigrants. It still should be, because it takes hard work to learn a difficult language. That's all I have to say about that except for this: for the people who mock the rest of us for having an opinion about how it should mean something to be an American, I want to add "Bite me." This ain't Minority Report and I'll think what I want.

No comments:

Post a Comment